Friday 24 February 2017

Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery #1) by Brenda Chapman



Nominated for the 2015 Arthur Ellis Award for Best Novel

When murder stalks a family over Christmas, Kala Stonechild trusts her intuition to get results.

It’s a week before Christmas when wealthy businessman Tom Underwood disappears into thin air — with more than enough people wanting him dead. 

New police recruit Kala Stonechild, who has left her northern Ontario detachment to join a specialized Ottawa crime unit, is tasked with returning Underwood home in time for the holidays. Stonechild, who is from a First Nations reserve, is a lone wolf who is used to surviving on her wits. Her new boss, Detective Jacques Rouleau, has his hands full controlling her, his team, and an investigation that keeps threatening to go off track. 

Old betrayals and complicated family relationships brutally collide when love turns to hate and murder stalks a family.


I would like to thank Netgalley for allowing me a copy of this wonderful 1st book in the Stonechild & Rouleau series.

When I first started reading this a couple of days ago. I found it to be quite weird to know why Lily & Sunny was being introduced to the story. Thinking that the rest of the story would go on looking for them in the case that they were either missing or murdered, I carried on reading.

Thinking that Tom Underwood's disappearance had something to do with the 2 girls at the beginning made me carry on reading. Then it drew me in further to know whether or not they were to do with his disappearance. I guessed something was up about the girls as it got closer to the end of the book (I was right on 1 thing and wrong on other aspects). But I loved the way it made me carry on reading through the story.

This won't be the last book I read of Brenda Chapman's Stonechild and Rouleau series as I found the characters to be kind and simple (well most of them anyway lol).

No comments:

Post a Comment